Monday, August 24, 2009

Homesick & Cute Pics!


Babcia, BJ, DziaDzia

There aren't many items to write about as things have pretty much slowed down for awhile. Thank goodness! However, I must say that I have a slight case of "homesickness." Not the typical "mope around and not eat" kind. (Are you kidding! The food here is great! I hardly go 3 hours without eating. I eat whenever BJ does! I suppose it's a good thing I'm doing a lot of walking!) But the kind when you start missing what your used to such as people, places and things (you know, all the nouns in your life). I am very grateful that my parents are both here and we have been having a lot of fun with BJ! However, I do miss my husband very much and of course I can't leave out my dog Maui. I also miss my bed and various other seemingly unimportant yet missable things.

Something that I really miss and am fairly lost without, is my church and church family. For those of you who know me personally, you know that church has always been a high priority in my life. I consider my relationship with Jesus Christ to be my highest priority and church just slides right in there. I have gone to the same church since I was 3 and will hopefully be able to go there for many more years. I love my church family so much and they are always so supportive, loving , and caring. I seriously consider them family! I also miss everything about church. The hymnals, praise songs, our band, and the sermons! I also miss my small group! To be honest, I haven't missed church more than twice in a row in my entire life! James and I even went to church on our honeymoon in Hawaii! So, not going for over a month has put me in a bit of a slump. Our facilitator was supposed to show us a protestant english speaking church, but never had the time. Granted, Poland is a deeply religious country and there are Catholic Churches on every corner. BEAUTIFUL churches! However, I've never been to a Catholic service and am not sure I would know what to do. But as a great friend pointed out "We serve the same God and church is church. It's all about what's in your heart anyway. Give it a try!" So this Sunday, I might enjoy my first church in over a month! What do you think? Should I go?

On to other matters, BJ seems to be getting along well and is warming up to grandma and grandpa nicely. He's been experiencing some rough patches the last few days. Some due to changed schedules and lack of sleep, others to sickness (we're hoping allergies). We've been giving him some Zyrtec, but that makes him grumpy and mean. I can't even tell you how many temper tantrums he had today. He just looked so drugged and tired. I felt so bad for him. So, I think we're going to skip the med. today and begin looking for something else. I want my sweet little boy back. He also has had some rough naps/nights due to what I think could be night terrors. He hasn't had any recently (Praise God!) but I am still keeping track. The poor little guy wakes up screaming and thankfully is able to calm down after I cuddle him and rock him back to sleep (although I'm not sure he was ever fully awake). His Visas and Passports are in the working and our appeal period is almost over! I can't wait until we are done and he is 100% officially ours! Monday, September 1 is the date!

My parents are enjoying it here, but are themselves getting slightly bored. They have already walked a 3-mile radius around Warsaw and are currently looking for specific places to visit. My dad is also figuring out the tram/bus schedules so that they can move outside the radius! If you know my parents at all, you know they don't like to sit, they like to be on the move. I do most the time, but after being here a month, sitting and playing with my son does it just fine for me! We do however have a tour scheduled for tomorrow and one for Thursday that I am looking forward to. The tours highlight the best parts of Warsaw. I'll post about them soon.

Below are some cute pics from the last week! Please Enjoy!



Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Cute Family Pics!
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

11 comments:

The Baxter Family said...

I love, love, love all of those pictures! The duck pictures especially make me smile. We need to get some international stickers for that thing!

I think that you should definitely try the Catholic church. I grew up Catholic, and I think that I can safely say that you will not know what to do, but it's pretty easy to follow along. Just practice kneeling and crossing yourself, and you'll be fine. :-) I agree with your friend who said that we all serve the same God, and that church is church, so give it a shot. If nothing else, at least you'll be with other followers and will understand a little more when you talk with Catholics about church.

I'm glad to hear that B.J.'s night terrors are subsiding, and hopefully quitting the meds. will help out with his tantrums. If not, we'll have lots to commiserate about. :-)

God bless

C Speh said...

Yes the homesickness - I guess even in Warsaw things can get boring! Hopefully the paper processing won't take too long.

My advice for the church is to sit in the back and just leave if you feel uncomfortable. The town we were in had speakers outside and all of the people with kids just hung out in the grounds while the kids played. It was kind of nice - and then strange at the same time:)

Temper tantrums....I can safely say we definitely saw our fair share after our "angel week". There was also an Italian couple adopting in the same town as us and they had the same temper tantrum issues. The orphanage director came over to talk to both of us at different times and told us that this was normal. The kids were just trying to figure out what it meant to be in a family. Phew! Things are getting better and we have less of them now and most of the time they are of a lower level intensity. Hopefully, you will see less as he feels better.

I hope he feels better soon.

And - here's to getting home quickly!

Adoptive Parents of Three said...

Awesome photos! I love the Polish Pride photo. Definitely worth framing.

Places to go to in Warsaw, if you haven't already: The Zoo. Hula Kula. Lazienki Park. Wodny Park. The Playground at Fort Bema. Playground Stefana Żeromskiego.

Actually, check out this awesome blog made by an American family in Warsaw. They've even uploaded fantastic videos of playgrounds for children:
http://savecashinwarsaw.blogspot.com/

Krista said...

Hey girlie!! I agree with the above! Definitely check out the Catholic church, especially since it seems to be a big part of the culture! Something I've gathered though, is that communion is only for those who've been through Cathechism or whatnot. So stay put for that part. :) I miss you!

Jeff and Debbie said...

Hi Mel,

If not the Catholic Church I believe there was a non-demonational english speaking mass at a church on Miodowa (our street but closer your way). However, growing up Catholic and having a very close relationship with my Savior, I think you might be comfortable enough to go just once. "Where two or more gather in my name...." You can worship where ever you are so if you're not comfortable going to a Catholic church, just go to God.

I can't imagine what you're going thru with the homesickness and you being there so long. We were so happy to hear English again when we got home. :)

Best wishes for a speedy, final process and getting home soon.

Deb

kelly said...

Love the pics!! Totally get the homesick part....everything familiar is at home :-( Well, except BJ & your parents :-)

I'm also Catholic, I agree, sit in the back & leave if you're uncomfortable, it might be strangely different, but that's ok!

It was hard, hard, hard to be in Poland for almost 8 weeks, but you can do it!! Enjoy your time with BJ :-)

Jennifer A. said...

What a great batch of new photos! We are dealing with night terrors too - I don't think Klaudia really wakes up in them either. I think they say it is better if they don't fully awaken through them - they won't be as conscious of them or something. It must be confusion, and he misses his Daddy, no doubt! Hope he feels better!

Anonymous said...

I looked on internet and found this info at http://wikitravel.org/en/Warsaw

1)Warsaw International Church, ul. Miodowa 21b,(Metro Stop RATUSZ) ☎ +48 (0/22) 842 23 51 (pastor@wic.org.pl), [http://www.wic.org.pl]. Worship service and Sunday School every Sunday at 11AM.
2)International Christian Fellowship, ul. Pulawska 114 (Corner of ul. Pulawska and ul. Maczewskiego. In the Mokotów district), ☎ +48 (0/22) 844 7996 (contact@icf-pl.org, fax: +48 (0/22) 844 7996), [http://www.icf-pl.org]. Mass is held every Sunday at 5PM. . This is a non-denominational church with Protestant leanings. Anyone and everyone is welcome and if you're a newcomer you're likely to be greeted by people who notice a new face in the crowd. You may even be invited for coffee after the service. The congregation is made of Brits, Germans, Poles, Americans, and Aussies, and other nationalities.

Jola

sarah said...

Oh, the homesickness! I feel your pain. There are tons of museums, and most all have free days once a week. That way you won't feel bad if you stay for only a few minutes! The Visitor Information storefront on Krakowskie Prezdmiescie (sp?) has SUPER helpful workers who helped us find tons to do in Warsaw.

We went to a different Catholic church every week (we are Catholic though). Most were so busy that people were standing in the back or off to the sides anyway, so you would feel comfortable there. Tons of tourists in all the churches. There was a family-style church that was a little too non-traditional for me that might more up your alley. It was in New Town. Also Catholic, but much more relaxed and lots of kids! I'll try to find a link later... I know it is on my blog somewhere...

You are so close to getting home!

sarah said...

Found it:
http://www.freta.dominikanie.pl/bootstrap.php/glowna

:)

Lee and Martha said...

Ditto to all the above! It's hard to be the last to post a comment and have something original to say~! Te, He, He !! Sometimes when Lee and I don't have the opportunity to get to church, we take some quiet time and talk about where we saw God work in our lives that particular day or week. It reminds us how wonderful He is and so generous with His Love!

Side note - How are you able to access the internet, did you have to set up internet connection or was it included in your rental unit? Curious. :)