Friday, October 16, 2009

Adjusting To The New Routine

Well, I suppose it's safe to say that things are back to "normal" at the Kochersperger household. Mommy is back to work and BJ is on a new schedule. I do believe however that BJ is doing better than mommy is! I'm so exhausted and after being back for only 4 days, I have come down with a terrible sore throat and head cold. I have had so many students out sick with countless illnesses, that I didn't even want to try and fight it, I just got on some antibiotics right away. I feel much better, but now I am concerned about BJ. YIKES!! The poor little guy! Who knows what I'll be bringing home to him! On a good note, my kindergarten students are great! They are such a nice group of children and gave me such a warm reception. It makes coming back to work a whole lot easier!

BJ is doing well at grandma's and grandpa's house for the day! He's loving all the attention he gets and grandma and papa Joe enjoy taking him around town. They said that he doesn't go to very many people like he used to and they have noticed he's become a little more clingy. We've noticed the same thing. When I left for work the first day, he didn't seem to care much at all. I got a kiss and that was that. However, the next day or two he began to realize that I was gone all day and has become quite upset upon my leaving. Part of me is thinking "Yes! He loves me and actually cares when I go!" The other part of me thinks "I don't want to leave him! He needs me!" The emotions are crazy! BJ has also become very clingy when I arrive back home in the afternoon. He cuddles and coos, crabs my legs (and doesn't let go), and constantly wants me in sight. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE when he wants me to hold him, but I am beginning to get concerned. The intensity of his separation anxiety is building with each day that I am gone. I'm hoping the weekend will help ease his mind and confusion. Any ideas?

On another note, BJ is learning more everyday! His eating skills are so much better, not spitting out as much food as before. He still doesn't prefer milk (or Pediasure), but will down a whole container of yogurt in minutes! He is walking more and more everyday and we are waiting for the day when he starts, running around the house! He has also picked up a very impressive skill! At least I think it is! BJ does not like food stuck to his fingers. He is a very clean eater. So we have been trying to show him how to wipe his fingers on a napkin rather than getting upset and waving his hands around in the air. So last night, while he was eating, he got a clump of food on his hands. I held up a napkin and he took it. He not only cleaned off his fingers, but then wiped his face with it! We were so impressed that we clapped and cheered for him. He of course loved it and 10 napkins later he finally stopped cleaning his fingers and face! What a riot! I told James that we need to be careful because this little guy copies EVERYTHING we do!

He has also taken a huge interest in books and especially loves non-fiction with the "real" pictures in them. His favorite is "Goodnight Baby!" He giggles and points especially to the ones he thinks he knows like his friend Caroline! He is trying to talk and can put the syllables in place, but still not much that is recognizable. The teacher in me is trying not to push, but the poor little guy is having the colors and alphabet recited to him on an hourly basis! However, I suppose he doesn't mind! He just thinks I'm being goofy and laughs at me!

Well that's about it for now! We will post some more pictures soon! He is changing everyday and has finally started to gain some weight! He is at 18.6 pounds and gaining! Our goal is to graduate from size 12 months to 18 months by spring. Oh well, he sure is cute being so tiny! As long as he's healthy! Thanks for your prayers and support! BJ has come such a long way in a short time! God has truly blessed us!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to work Melanie! I'm sure it is a tough transition. I have a friend who experienced the same separation anxiety when she went to work after 1 1/2 of being a stay at home mom. For her, it turns out that all she had to do was change her good-bye. She was matter of fact in saying "I love you and you will see me later today". Then her in-laws would have a fun toy ready to take her mind off of Mommy leaving. My friend did this because she realized that all of the adults were kind of making a big deal about Mommy missing her and mommy being gone. It's amazing what a 1 1/2 year old can pick up on.

What you are going through is probably pretty normal. BJ was previously exposed to lots people throught the day. It's probably a lot less now that he's with his family. Which of course is the BEST family in the world!

Best wishes on getting through this tough spot. Hopefully you get lots of good advice, considering I don't even have kids yet! LOL!!!

Ramie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ramie said...

I have been reading your blog for months and have really enjoyed following your wonderful story. We are actually in the beginning stages of adopting from Poland (had our first home study visit today). I have started a blog and was wondering if it would be ok to put a link to your blog from ours. You can email me at ramie.macioce@gmail.com to let me know if it is ok.

Thanks

Adoptive Parents of Three said...

Melanie, I can tell you from the perspective of ten months after our adoption of three children - be thankful for the clingy behaviour. I have one boy who's very clingy, one boy who's neither here nor there, and a girl that is FAR from clingy and I wish she WERE!!!

It's a lot easier to tell a child after ten months, "stop being clingy" than tell a girl after ten months, "stop hugging strangers!"

I completely understand the separation anxiety. It does get better with time. I promise!

Krista said...

I'm sad that you guys couldn't come to the party, but hope you all feel better and that I get to meet BJ soon!!!

Krista

kelly said...

Glad to hear that you have a nice group of kiddos this year, that sure helps! I'm sure BJ will continue to get used to his new routine. Looking forward to the new pics :-)

Tom and Kara said...

BJ sounds like he is doing so well!! You are so blessed to have a Grandma and Grandpa who love him and want to care for him!!

Anonymous said...

Mrs. K;
How exciting and what a blessing. I am soooo happy for you both.

I know what a gift you were the Wilson family as a teacher to Miranda.

Her love for you was immeasurable. You are an awesome Mom, I know.

Love to you all....Pat LaDuke

The Baxter Family said...

We saw your article in the paper!!! I can't wait to show Caroline the pictures when she gets up from her nap!

Anonymous said...

So happy for you Mrs. k!! This is Miranda and Mason's mom, Jen Wilson. Just was going to tell you that there is a book out called,"The kissing hand". When Mason had separation anxiety at preschool his teacher introduced us to this book and it did wonders!! Just a thought! He is a GORGEOUS Boy and you are going to be WONDERFUL parents I can tell!! Welcome Back and Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

Melanie, I just read the Register-Mail article about your adoption, and I wanted to congratulate you and James. BJ is a very luck boy to have such a loving and welcoming home!

Sincerely,
John Hughes

Shawna said...

And here I am just telling Jenna to lick things off her fingers when she gets upset about having messy hands! Tsk, tsk to me! ;) (Of course, she also raids the wipes and walks around wiping her face [and any part of Mommy unfortunate enough to be deemed dirty] and saying, "Wipe- wipe, wipe-wipe!")

Glad to hear your class is good--that makes going to work so much easier! I think of you guys often!