Friday, September 18, 2009

Discovering New Territory!

I can say without a doubt that BJ loves everything about his new home. Everything that is except the dog. Maui (our dog) is a lab and collie mix which makes her super playful, hyper and nippy. While BJ is off exploring the house, Maui is just a step behind him making sure he doesn't do anything without "her" permission. It's rather funny! Then when BJ is minding his own business playing with a toy, Maui will come up and shove a toy in BJ's face expecting him to grab on and play a match of "tug-of-war." Poor kid! He's learned to hold his own around Maui and won't scream, but has recently been caught giving the dog a little swat in the face. Goodness! If it's not one, it's the other! Oh the joys of dogs and children!

On another note, we all seem to be adjusting well. BJ finally got caught up on all his lost sleep after sleeping for 13 1/2 hours last night. I had to keep checking on him this morning because I thought something was very wrong. He was fine, just snoozing away. BJ especially loves having his daddy back. He just giggles and laughs whenever he sees him! It's so cute! You wonder how the two ever made it apart for that long!

I will say that BJ is not quite back to himself all though I feel it is getting close. He doesn't talk as much as he did in Poland and seems to be more withheld and clingy. In fact, he screamed whenever it was bath time for the first few nights here. I couldn't believe it! He loved bath time and would literally stop eating his night snack just to take a bath. Then "kaboom" we get here and it all changes! I had to start back at square one and introduce bath time the way I did when we first got custody of him. But, I will say it worked because finally tonight we had a breakthrough, again! He loved it and was back to his old self! I'm wondering (and hoping) everything else will come back to him once he gets settled in. It has to be so overwhelming for him. After all, this was his fourth move since he left the orphanage. That's pretty traumatic if you ask me. Plus, there are more toys here then "Toys'R Us" thanks to our friends and family (even though we are trying to keep them packed away and only bring out a few at a time). Poor BJ is on sensory overload!

We haven't done much this week, simply getting unpacked and FINALLY into a home routine. It feels so good to be able to start living as a family! We love having a son and feel that there is no way we could live without him! He is so adorable, loving, cuddly, cute, etc. the list could go on forever. His personality just cracks me up! Also, the way he stares at us with the big blue eyes and toothy grin could melt even the coldest of hearts! It's just amazing how resilient he is!

He has met a few people this week and has done well. One day I took him after school to meet some of my friends and poor BJ just wasn't feeling like being very agreeable. However, I did wake him up from his nap to go! Big Mistake! He also had his first U.S. play date with a little girl named Caroline. They are very similar in age and almost the same size. I have some cute pictures and will write more and post them on my next entry. For now, please enjoy the trip pics! We have some cute welcome home pics I'll post when I get them!


Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: BJ's First Flight!
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

5 comments:

kelly said...

What cute pictures, especially BJ watching Donald Duck! Love to hear how he & Maui are getting along :-)

The Baxter Family said...

I definitely have to agree with you on those big blue eyes and adorable grin. He is such a little cutie! Caroline thinks so, too. :-)

Adoptive Parents of Three said...

It sounds like he's rapidly settling in and feeling comfortable in your care. 13.5 hours of sleep??? Wow! Most definitely, a comfort. Those big blue eyes are adorable!

Tom and Kara said...

I cannot imagine how wonderful it must be to be HOME with your SON!! He is Adorable by the way!! SO happy for you.

Lee and Martha said...

Home Sweet Home! Nothing like it! I look forward to the newest pictures!! Take Care~!